Friday, February 7, 2014

Sugar

The other day the Starbucks inside the Target I frequent was out of soy.  I'm not a fan of soy, or even Starbucks, really, but my limitless cheapness and the 5% off granted me there with my RedCard seemed to make it worth it.
I was forced to explore an alternative.  Enter Layer's Cafe.  They have alternatives to cow's milk and soy!  The caramel silk flavored latte is delicious.  And they have gluten free treats.  Salted Caramel Whoopie Pie?  Don't mind if I do.
Except I should!  I started exploring the Paleo diet before I got pregnant.  At first to lose weight, but I stuck with it because of how much better I felt.  Being stricter about dairy and not eating grains improved my skin, tummy issues and seasonal allergy symptoms.
Once I got pregnant, I got a little more lax about non-gluten grains because of aversion/nausea issues.  But I was still a good 90% Paleo.  And I was enjoying the benefits of feeling great and gaining even more slowly than when I ran through a pregnancy.
Enter the last trimester.  I would have off, low energy days that made sweets sound really good.  Added sugar isn't a grain or dairy, so, not sooo bad, right?  Wrong.  My off, low energy days seem to be crawling closer together and while some of it is undoubtedly the darling little parasite inside me, I'm also sure that the candy isn't helping.  And it's going to help less and become more of a problem when babe is here and I'm sleep deprived.
So, this weekend I enjoyed my Salted Caramel Whoopie Pie while promising myself that I would stop eating candy and other sugar laden treats and relegate my lattes back to a once-per-week treat I meant for them to be.  And hopefully I'll have this under control by the time I go into labor!

FYI, my favorite resources are nomnompaleo and against all grain!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and make $$$$$$ for every visitor to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete