Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Maternity DIY /1

Megan Nielsen has a wonderful list of DIY sewing projects for a winter maternity wardrobe.  She also sells patterns.  For this project, I took one of Damon's super old Structure (remember that store!?) button-ups that he was getting rid of because it was much too big and I used this tutorial as a jumping off point to alter it to maternity.
I'm really happy with the results!
Notes: pay attention to the sleeves!  I switched mine once I reattached!  I had to remove the breast pocket.  I notice nearly all men's shirts have this pocket and it's right in the way of making an empire seam.  I also didn't want the bottom to look like an umbrella so I cut down the back half of the bottom as well.  I have trouble making gathers even so I opted to put all of mine under the bust, rather than trying to evenly spread them across the entire front.  I have one more shirt of Damon's I plan to alter and I want to also put in bust darts as well as bring the hem up a couple inches so that it's more shirt, less tunic.
 photo DSC08705_zps03d1d05f.jpg

 photo DSC08707_zpsd6c5afcc.jpg

 photo DSC08711_zps9af81808.jpg

Cardigan: F21, Jeans & Wedges: Target, Necklace: Charming Charlie, Shirt: Self-made!

No comments:

Post a Comment