Thursday, August 25, 2011

Favorite Skincare

The focus of my skincare routine has changed subtly to be more layered through the years.
As a teenager, I was primarily concerned with controlling my freckles and having an even skintone. That's when I started using Aveeno's Positively Radiant with SPF.
Photobucket
In my late teens/early 20s, I started getting bad breakouts and I had to have benzoyl peroxide on hand. And I started using Oil of Olay disposable cleansing cloths. I cut them into quarters because unless you're washing off stage makeup, the whole cloth is serious overkill. And bonus, they travel better than a liquid face wash because a) they can't spill in your luggage and b)you don't have to worry if they fit the TSA liquid parameters.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Then I moved to the desert and got lazy with my lip care. If you have seriously chapped lips, a waxy layer of balm doesn't do much but feel like greasy foil. I try to exfoliate, apply aloe gel and then, finally, chapstick/lip balm.
Photobucket
I rarely wear whole-face makeup like foundation or powder so I didn't feel like I really needed to wash my face before bed. But I'm getting into the habit of taking off ALL my makeup and washing my face in the evening. And wouldn't you know, it really helps with the exhausted looking eye-rings if there's no caked mascara flakes under my eyes LOL
Photobucket
And last, I started using some anti-wrinkle stuff because I'm worried about the result of my fairer complexion and obsession with being golden brown year-round for 5yrs (well, I'd still like to be perpetually golden brown now, but not at the expense of looking old and leathery) back when I modeled (though I did always wear sunscreen on my face when I tanned/laid out). I also wear a hat and/or liberally apply and re-apply sunscreen when I swim with the kids now.
Photobucket

What are some of your favorite products and why?!?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Dermalogica products. I could spend a fortune on those. They make me feel fresh, clean and radiant. Plus they have no fragrance or other irritants. I am in the market for a good water proof mascara remover, any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanna, I don't have any specific recommendations, but I would probably just use some coconut oil first, then my regular makeup remover.

    ReplyDelete